Bersin by Deloitte: 10 Top Disruptive HR Technology-Related Trends Poised to Reshape the Workplace and Drive Organizational Success
New workflow-embedded HR practices and easy-to-use mobile applications allow employees to learn on demand, share their work experiences in real time, and help leaders make timely, data-driven people decisions
LAS VEGAS, October 13, 2014 /3BL Media/ -- New human resource (HR) practices that are embedded into employee workflows and easy-to-use mobile applications are poised to dramatically reshape where and how people work, according to the most recent observations from Josh Bersin, principal, Bersin by Deloitte, Deloitte Consulting LLP. These are among the 10 top disruptive HR technology-related trends that appear in "HR Technology for 2015: Ten Big Disruptions Ahead," a new report unveiled today at the HR Technology Conference and Expo in Las Vegas.
Such workflow-embedded HR practices and mobile applications will allow employees to learn on demand, share work experiences in real-time, update goals on-the-go, and provide real-time data that ultimately can help leaders make better management decisions, according to Bersin. In the report, Bersin highlights additional disruptive, technology-related developments for HR and business leaders to consider in planning their technology roadmap for the year ahead.
"The HR technology market, which is now more than $15 billion in software alone, is exploding with growth and innovation," saidJosh Bersin, principal, Bersin by Deloitte, Deloitte Consulting LLP. "One of the most disruptive changes is the trend toward automating HR practices and integrating systems, making them so easy to use that people think of them as part of their daily life. By embedding and automating HR practices into applications employees use every day, HR 'systems of record' are becoming 'systems of engagement.' At the same time, these systems give leaders the real-time information they need to adapt to changing business and labor conditions."
By weaving many HR processes into employees' daily workflow, solution providers are making it easier and simpler for people to update their status, find their benefits, locate other skilled people, find and take courses, assess job candidates, complete onboarding for a new job, and set or monitor goals.
"Think about goal management," Bersin said. "Our research shows organizations that revise their goals quarterly or more frequently are nearly 50 percent more likely to have above-average customer satisfaction and 65 percent more likely to be effective at controlling costs than those organizations that only revise their goals once per year. So why wouldn't the HR system facilitate this agile, continuous goal management process? Many startups are now focused here."
While the shift in the purpose of software from "systems of record" to "systems of engagement" may be the most profound issue impacting HR technology today, additional disruptive trends include the following:
- Mobile is everything - Mobile applications, such as online learning and goal setting, are positioning the phone to become the primary interface for all HR- related applications.
- Analytics-driven, science-based solutions - One new solution looks at real-time labor activity and, using analytics techniques, shows companies how to save millions of dollars in payroll expense without reducing any worker flexibility or productivity.
- Science of leadership, assessment, and psychology evolves with Big Data - A new set of companies are emerging that bring together traditional assessment with big data and what may be called "social sensing" to help organizations better understand the relationship between skills, personality and organizational culture.
- Sensing, crowdsourcing and the "Internet of Things" - Companies now are looking at ways to capture continuous data about hourly employees (time worked, schedules), high potentials (are they threatening to leave, how are they feeling about work or their managers), and leaders and staff (how are they performing, why are some people performing better).
- Radical changes to recruiting - Thanks to new online job information and networking sites, we now source, attract and recruit candidates through what we call "network recruiting."
- Dramatic changes to performance management and talent mobility - A new breed of performance management tools and approaches now includes features for regular check-ins, transparent sharing of goals, and agile team management.
- Learning management systems (LMS) change and market expands - New LMS technologies now integrate learning with talent and performance management. They include integrated content and expertise management, and they often have integrated collaboration, recommendation engines and tools.
- HR management systems (HRMS) and talent management merge - All major HRMS vendors offer recruitment, performance management, talent management, analytics and most offer learning solutions along with their core HRMS and payroll applications.
- Technology-savvy vendors will likely outpace their peers - Winning vendors will likely have agile, highly-expert teams, and will likely release new features and interfaces every few months. They also are expected to adapt their products rapidly as technology, user experience and client demands change.
To learn more about these trends, download a complimentary copy of by visiting "HR Technology for 2015: Ten Big Disruptions Ahead."
Register to join Josh Bersin for his online webinar, "HR Technology 2015: Ten Big Disruptive Trends," at 2 p.m. EST/19:00 BST on Dec. 9, 2014.
Those interested in learning more about Bersin by Deloitte or its WhatWorks® membership may email email@example.com or call +1 510 251 4400.
About Bersin by Deloitte
Bersin by Deloitte delivers research-based people strategies designed to help leaders and their organizations in their efforts to deliver exceptional business performance. Our WhatWorks® membership gives Fortune 1000 and Global 2000 HR professionals the information and tools they need to design and implement leading practice solutions, benchmark against others, develop their staff, and select and implement systems. A piece of Bersin by Deloitte research is downloaded on average approximately every minute during the business day. More than 5,000 organizations worldwide use our research and consulting to guide their HR, talent and learning strategies. For more information, please visit http://www.deloitte.com/bersin or http://www.bersin.com.
As used in this document, "Deloitte" means Deloitte Consulting LLP, a subsidiary of Deloitte LLP. Please see http://www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.Contact
Marketing and Communications
Bersin by Deloitte
Deloitte Consulting LLP
+1 415 465 2711
 Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-11/workday-raises-637-million-in-ipo-pricing-shares-above-range.html
 For more information, Maximizing the Impact of Goal-Setting and Revising, Bersin & Associates/Stacia Sherman Garr, August 2011
Download the attached file(s):