Alliance Data 2017 Corporate Responsibility Report Highlights Progress In Key Performance Areas, Establishes 2020 Goals
Purpose-driven strategy focuses on using ‘data for good’, driving long-term sustainability for the business
PLANO, Texas, June 27, 2018 /3BL Media/ – Alliance Data Systems Corporation (NYSE: ADS), a leading global provider of data-driven marketing and loyalty solutions, today released its annual Corporate Responsibility Report for 2017, which reviews accomplishments over the past year and sets new goals for 2020 across all three of the company’s lines of business – Alliance Data’s card services business, Epsilon and LoyaltyOne – as well as the parent company. This year’s report presents an updated corporate responsibility strategy that provides a blueprint for activities over the next three years, with a focus on leveraging the company’s expertise in technology and data analytics to benefit the social good – a purpose-driven approach the company calls “data for good.” Download a copy of the highlights report or the full report.
“The world is changing by the minute, with disruptive technologies reshaping the business and social landscape, and creating unparalleled opportunities for companies like ours,” said Ed Heffernan, president and chief executive officer of Alliance Data. “Alliance Data is thriving in this age of disruption, largely because we stay focused on the right priorities, leverage our expertise to strengthen our communities, and measure our progress so we remain on course. Our commitments enable us to operate as a responsible company with purpose, while contributing directly to our financial success and to the collective well-being of our many stakeholders.”
In 2017, Alliance Data evolved its corporate responsibility strategy to better reflect the company today, incorporating feedback received from stakeholders. Specifically, the company articulated its approach to fair and responsible banking; ramped up efforts to promote an inclusive and diverse workforce, supplier base and Board of Directors; and placed greater emphasis on using technology and data analytics capabilities for social good.
Specific accomplishments highlighted in this year’s report include:
- Alliance Data invested $14 million in its communities in 2017, with $1 million of those dollars invested in minority depository financial institutions in areas affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.
- With the company’s strong focus on community investment and associate engagement, 87% of Alliance Data associates feel encouraged to give back to their community.
- Alliance Data partnered with the Texas Trees Foundation to better understand and respond to rising temperatures effecting Dallas, through a combination of funding and associate volunteerism, an effort that will help improve community health and offset carbon emissions in North Texas.
- The 100+ vehicles in Epsilon’s smart community fleet help get 1,100 associates to work each day. Epsilon added 19 electric vehicles to its employee transportation program in 2017.
- The Federation for Internet Alerts (FIA) regularly relies on Epsilon technology to issue AMBER Alert messages and tornado warnings across the U.S., helping recover missing children and notifying individuals of impending weather emergencies. In 2017, FIA sent alerts that achieved a total of 1 billion impressions, including more than 12 million alerts delivered during hurricanes Harvey and Irma.
Looking forward, Alliance Data’s strategy is aimed at increasing the company’s positive social impact and reducing its environmental footprint, while achieving results that strengthen the long-term sustainability of the business. The company will employ its “data for good” philosophy to drive economic return across the value chain; improve business performance for clients through the effective use of marketing and technology; create value for consumers through tailored and relevant multi-channel communications; offer a healthy, inclusive, safe and rewarding workplace; and address social and environmental issues.
Specific goals for the next three years include:
- In the area of community investment, Alliance Data has set a goal to invest $20 million in data for good initiatives. With each grant, the company will evaluate how the use of data and technology can advance a nonprofit’s ability to deliver social impact.
- In terms of environmental stewardship, Alliance Data will develop a plan to set a science-based greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction target, establish a task force to develop protocols for GHG emissions, and will invest $5 million in efficient technologies for new buildings and retrofits to company facilities.
- For its associates, Alliance Data is making a concerted effort to attract and retain top talent, and create a workplace that nurtures learning and growth. The company has made great strides in moving toward gender pay parity and U.S. ethnic pay equality, and has launched specific programs in each business line to help women prepare for leadership roles.
To learn more about the company’s existing corporate responsibility initiatives addressing top priorities, future goals, and progress, view the full 2017 Corporate Responsibility Report.
About Alliance Data
Alliance Data® (NYSE: ADS) is a leading global provider of data-driven marketing and loyalty solutions serving large, consumer-based industries. The Company creates and deploys customized solutions, enhancing the critical customer marketing experience; the result is measurably changing consumer behavior while driving business growth and profitability for some of today's most recognizable brands. Alliance Data helps its clients create and increase customer loyalty through solutions that engage millions of customers each day across multiple touch points using traditional, digital, mobile and emerging technologies. An S&P 500, FORTUNE 500 and FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For company headquartered in Plano, Texas, Alliance Data consists of three businesses that together employ approximately 20,000 associates at more than 100 locations worldwide.
Alliance Data’s card services business is a provider of market-leading private label, co-brand, and business credit card programs. Epsilon® is a leading provider of multichannel, data-driven technologies and marketing services, and also includes Conversant®, a leader in personalized digital marketing. LoyaltyOne® owns and operates the AIR MILES® Reward Program, Canada’s most recognized loyalty program, and Netherlands-based BrandLoyalty, a global provider of tailor-made loyalty programs for grocers.
Forward Looking Statements
This release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Forward-looking statements give our expectations or forecasts of future events and can generally be identified by the use of words such as “believe,” “expect,” “anticipate,” “estimate,” “intend,” “project,” “plan,” “likely,” “may,” “should” or other words or phrases of similar import. Similarly, statements that describe our business strategy, outlook, objectives, plans, intentions or goals also are forward-looking statements.
We believe that our expectations are based on reasonable assumptions. Forward-looking statements, however, are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the projections, anticipated results or other expectations expressed in this release, and no assurances can be given that our expectations will prove to have been correct. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, factors set forth in the Risk Factors section in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the most recently ended fiscal year, which may be updated in Item 1A of, or elsewhere in, our Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q filed for periods subsequent to such Form 10-K.
Our forward-looking statements speak only as of the date made, and we undertake no obligation, other than as required by applicable law, to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, subsequent events, anticipated or unanticipated circumstances or otherwise.