On World Cancer Day Holland America Line Launches ‘On Deck For A Cause’ Shipboard Fundraising Program Supporting Six International Cancer Organizations
New Walk on 500 Cruises Annually to Raise Money for the Global Fight Against Cancer
February 4, 2013 /3BL Media/ - In honor of World Cancer Day, today Holland America Line announces “On Deck for a Cause,” a new shipboard giving program that will benefit six international cancer organizations located in the United States, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Germany and United Kingdom.
On Deck for a Cause invites guests to participate in a noncompetitive 5k fundraising walk on every sailing aboard each of the line’s 15 ships, with proceeds to be distributed among the American Cancer Society, Canadian Cancer Society, Cancer Council Australia, Cancer Research UK, Deutsche Krebshilfe (German Cancer Aid) and KWF Kankerbestrijding (Dutch Cancer Society). The program will be implemented on ships in the coming month.
“With this new program Holland America Line will increase our support of the global fight against cancer,” said Stein Kruse, president and chief executive officer for Holland America Line. “Giving back is part of the Holland America Line culture, and it’s gratifying to be able to support these incredible organizations in six countries where the majority of our guests live. This new program will help raise significant funds for cancer research, education, screening and treatment programs.”
Guests of all ages are invited to donate $20 to the Holland America Line Foundation, with a minimum of 80 percent ($16) to be distributed to the organizations. The remaining 20 percent will cover program and administrative expenses. On a day at sea, participants join in a 5k walk around the ship’s decks. Guests may walk less or not at all, as they prefer. Participants will also receive an On Deck for a Cause T-shirt, wristband and a reception following the walk. Depending on the ship, the distance to reach 5k ranges from nine to 12 laps.
Nearly 500 On Deck for a Cause events will occur across the Holland America Line fleet in the coming year, with walks taking place on cruises globally including the Mediterranean, Caribbean, South Pacific, Alaska’s Inside Passage, Mexico, Asia, the Baltic, Australia, New Zealand and South America.
Holland America Line and its corporate foundation’s charitable giving programs include cash sponsorships, in-kind donations, shipboard events, free- and reduced-fare cruise donations for nonprofit fundraising events, donations of usable shipboard items around the world, employee volunteerism and other philanthropic activities.
For more information about On Deck for a Cause, Holland America Line’s cruises and CruiseTours, consult a professional travel seller, call 1-877-SAIL-HAL (1-877-724-5425) or visitwww.hollandamerica.com.