ReportAlert.info - Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE:NSC) Publishes 2014 Sustainability Report
The report documents the company's ongoing efforts to contribute to a cleaner environment, a healthier economy, and stronger communities
July 16, 2014 /3BL Media/ - Norfolk Southern (NYSE:NSC) has released its latest “Connections” Sustainability Report, documenting the company’s ongoing efforts to contribute to a cleaner environment, a healthier economy, and stronger communities.
NS’ seventh annual sustainability report, based on Global Reporting Initiative G4 guidelines, offers a comprehensive look at the company’s environmental, economic, and social performance in 2013.
Key sustainability efforts covered in Connections include the company’s carbon mitigation strategy, locomotive fuel-efficiency innovations, research on alternative-power locomotives, conservation partnerships, and life cycle improvements to material use. The report also documents how employees are integrating sustainability principles into the workplace and their communities.
Among 2013 achievements highlighted in Connections:
- Saved an estimated 10 million gallons of locomotive diesel fuel and avoided around 110,500 metric tons of GHG emissions through LEADER train-handling technology.
- Completed 65 percent of a five-year, $5.6 million partnership launched in 2011 to reforest 10,000 acres in the Mississippi Delta.
- Helped locate or expand 92 industries on NS’ network, representing customer investment of $2.3 billion, 3,100 new customer jobs, and more than 136,000 new carloads of rail business.
- Improved network efficiencies and expanded freight capacity with the opening of two regional intermodal facilities on the company’s Crescent Corridor, additions that will mitigate truck-traffic congestion on interstate highways from New Orleans, La., to northern New Jersey.
- Hired more than 1,000 employees.
- Distributed charitable donations of $12.8 million to food banks, homeless shelters, free medical clinics, and environmental, cultural arts, and educational organizations.
Headquartered in Norfolk, Va., Norfolk Southern is a premier transportation company. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary serves every major container port in the eastern United States, operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East, and is a major transporter of consumer goods, raw materials, and automotive and industrial products. Comments on Connections are welcome at email@example.com.