ReportAlert.info - British Land (LON:BLND) publishes Corporate Responsibility Report 2011
The report identifies the five sustainability issues that matter most to the business and its key stakeholders.
(3BL Media / theCSRfeed) June 20, 2011 - British Land publishes Corporate Responsibility Report 2011
This year, British Land carried out a thorough review of its corporate responsibility strategy and activities, commissioning independent stakeholder research, consulting experts, reviewing best practice and benchmarking performance.
Through this review, the company identified the five sustainability issues that matter most to the business and its key stakeholders. These five issues are also core to its corporate aim of building the best Real Estate Investment Trust in Europe:
1. Managing buildings efficiently: 15% less energy use and 14% less water across the company’s like-for-like portfolio than its baseline two years ago, saving almost £1 million and cutting emissions by 6,775 tonnes
2. Developing sustainable buildings: BREEAM Excellent ratings for all major office developments and two retail developments, with 30% better carbon efficiency than current standards on average.
3. Enhancing biodiversity: 90% of major developments on track to result in a net positive improvement in site biodiversity.
4. Exceeding customers' expectations: 80% of UK customers rated British Land good or excellent, significantly outperforming industry averages.
5. Focusing on local communities: £877,000 invested in good causes, through cash, time and gifts in-kind, up from £717,000 last year.
Of Head Office staff, 92% rated British Land very highly as an employer, in the company’s first independent staff satisfaction survey.
British Land was recently recognised by the Sunday Times as one of the best green companies in the UK. The company has also won a number of prestigious awards for its sustainability achievements, for instance from Guardian Sustainable Business, the Royal Town Planning Institute, Property Week, Business in the Community and the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.
Key 2011 performance data has been independently assured by PwC and the Report achieved a GRI Index B+ rating.
British Land welcomes your feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
British Land is one of Europe's largest Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs). The company's properties are home to over 1,000 organisations and are visited by over 250 million people each year.