My Olympic Adventure in Rio
By Whitney Stewart, Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s 2015-16 National Youth of the Year
I can’t believe it has been over a week since we landed back in the states after an epic trip abroad for the Olympics. I mean, talk about a major pinch-me moment! I feel so blessed and so honored that I was given the chance to represent nearly 4 million Boys & Girls Club youth in Rio, thanks to Comcast and NBC Sports Champions, the pro-social initiative of NBC Sports Group. If you were following along on Snapchat, you got to see a little peek into some of the fun we had as I gleaned from behind the scenes the incredible media and technology that went into producing the 2016 Olympic Games. Catch my "Top 5" highlights below, and look back on my full journey with hashtag #WhitGoesToRio!
- We had the opportunity to tour the TODAY set. While there, we were able to meet several Olympic athletes, including Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky!!!
- We took an open-air Jeep to the top of a mountain to see the iconic Christ the Redeemer statue. It was such a magical experience. There we so many people there from different walks of life.
- I had the chance to speak to on-air talent like Bob Costas and Ryan Seacrest! It was crazy to see them in person after watching them on TV for years!
- I went behind the scenes and even got to meet the producers who work on swimming and gymnastics for NBC!
- The ultimate highlight: I was lucky enough to meet my favorite Olympian, Simone Biles and saw a few members of the Final Five! Talk about #squadgoals!
I want to give a HUGE thank you to Comcast and NBC Sports for the perfect capstone to a whirlwind year serving as the Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s 2015-16 National Youth of the Year. I will cherish this experience for a lifetime.