Zero Waste, Carbon Neutral and 90% Organic by 2025
Wessanen’s Integrated Annual Report reveals sustainability commitments
Zero waste, carbon neutral and 90% organic by 2025. These are just three of eight commitments that one of European’s leading companies in healthy and sustainable food has revealed in its Integrated Annual Report.
In 2017 Wessanen has set out a clear roadmap for the business and defined clear commitments up to the year 2025. The resulting purpose of “connecting to nature” is at the heart of the company’s strategy and not only defines its approach to sustainability but also determines how Wessanen conducts business.
Creating a new kind of food company
Industrial food companies have broken the link to the natural world, a link that is fundamental to human beings.
“As we look at the challenges of the food market today among which a global obesity epidemic, enormous sustainability challenges and social imbalance in the value chain, the key questions are ‘what has gone wrong’ and ‘how are we going to change things’?” (Christophe Barnouin, CEO)
Wessanen’s approach is to follow natural principles – and its sustainability strategy reflects that:
It consist of four key pillars, each of which contains two commitments the company has taken to become a sustainable company that connects people to nature through food.
Provide healthy food as intended by nature
- By 2025, 90% of our sales will be organic products
- Our portfolio will remain mainly (>95%) composed of vegetarian products
Be as resource efficient as nature
- By 2025 we will be carbon-neutral and have reduced significantly our carbon emissions.
- By 2025 we will submit ZERO waste to landfill and incineration and will have reduced our physical waste
Be a diverse and agile community
- By end 2022 we will have gender balance across our senior management level
- By end 2022 we will have increased our internal mobility, meaning that at least 50% of jobs will be fulfilled by internal recruits
Cooperate with our ecosystem
- By 2025 we will have built sustainable supply chains from farm to customers for our top 4 organic raw materials (oat, almond, tea and cocoa)
- We will have increased the sales of fair trade certified products for southern countries raw materials
In line with this purpose and the corresponding commitments the company took further steps towards becoming a greener company:
Next to joining the UN Global Compact, the French business Bjorg Bonneterre et Compagnie has been certified B Corp, a certification that pushes businesses towards a new standard in sustainability. Wessanen is now preparing the roll out across all businesses.
Read the full report at https://wessanen.com/investor-relations/annual-report-financial-information/annual-report/
+31 (20) 3122122
At Wessanen, we focus on food that is good for people and for the planet. In most cases, foods which benefit our own health are also better for the planet, and vice versa. We have therefore defined our mission as ‘Healthier food, healthier people, healthier planet’. We focus on our core categories dairy alternatives, sweet in betweens, bread and biscuit replacers, veggie meals, breakfast cereals and hot drinks.
A family of brands
Many of our brands are successful leaders of their respective markets. They all have strong local roots and are among the pioneers of the organic market in their country.
Brands like Bjorg, Allos, Kallo, Bonneterre, Isola Bio, Gayelord Hauser, Alter Eco, Zonnatura, Tartex, Clipper, Whole Earth, Mrs. Crimble's and Destination are part of our family.