Reflections from the 2017 NEHRA Conference
by Andy Boes
Common Impact had a fantastic time at the 2017 NEHRA Conference! What a fun way to spend a few days: reflecting on employee engagement and talent development with a crowd of talented HR professionals.
We learned a ton while we were there, so we've provided a few key highlights and reflections from the conference:
- A positive mindset not only feels good, but it also improves business outcomes! One way to cultivate a positive mindset is to spend two minutes each day praising or thanking someone new.
- So-called “soft” skills are important, too! Emotional intelligence, interpersonal communications skills, and appreciating others all complement hard skills to make organizations thrive.
- Understanding the difference between “urgent” and “important” can help us prioritize our time and live more intentionally, both on a personal and professional level.
- Unconscious bias pervades the workplace. One of the first steps to challenging our unconscious biases is to identify and understand them.
- Organizational Development is about helping a group adopt practices and policies to perform more effectively. One low-hanging fruit is to invest in facilitation training for a staff member to help maximize on what your team gets out of meetings.
Thank you, NEHRA, for hosting us!