QBE announces grants to 19 charities
NEW YORK, Oct. 3, 2012 / 3BL Media / PRNewswire/ -- The QBE Foundation has awarded nearly $88,000 in grants – ranging from $50 to $10,000 – that will support services provided by 19 charitable organizations.
Contributions are part of the foundation's quarterly grant program. In June, 16 charities received nearly $100,000 to fund programs for those in need.
According to QBE President and Chief Executive Officer John Rumpler, grants are given to further the QBE Foundation's mission of supporting vocational opportunities and enhancing health and well-being so people may live more independently, successfully and productively. "These outstanding charities assist people in making strides toward helping themselves," he said. "We are delighted our foundation grants will make a positive impact."
The organizations and services the grants will support are:
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention - North Texas Chapter – To support research and education aimed at improving understanding of suicide and its prevention.
- Brain Tumor Foundation – To support programs focusing on pediatric brain tumor disease and family assistance.
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation – To support the efforts of the organization, dedicated to searching for a cure for cystic fibrosis.
- Goodwill of Orange County – To support the Goodwill Fitness Center, California's only fitness center designed for people living with physical disabilities or chronic illness.
- High Tech Foundation – To support the Media Arts Lab Project at High Tech Middle School in the San Diego area. The foundation supports innovative public schools aimed at developing students' post-secondary success.
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Georgia – General support for the organization dedicated to improving the lives of people affected by Type 1 diabetes.
- Life in Abundance – To publish a book, written by South Sudanese people, that shares stories of inspiration and introduces readers to their history and culture. Life in Abundance is a community-development organization that operates in eight African countries, focusing on economic empowerment, leadership development, early childhood education and primary health care.
- National Kidney Foundation – To support the 2012 New York City Kidney Walk in October.
- Northeast Family Center – To support building strong families and vital neighborhoods in Lincoln, Neb. through education and advocacy.
- Northernstar Council of Boy Scouts of America – Friends of Scouting – To support Cub Scout camps in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
- Partners In Care Maryland – General support for the nonprofit group that helps older adults remain independent in their own homes.
- SafeHaven of Tarrant County – To support the agency, which helps women and children affected by domestic violence.
- Self Help Africa – To support rural communities' efforts to produce enough food to feed themselves and to trade as a way to escape poverty.
- VOX Teen Communications – To support the organization's programs that inspire skill-building and encourage high school graduation to Atlanta-area teens.
- Waunakee Feed the Need – To support Food for Kidz, an event which provided 50,000 meals distributed to 50 local food pantries.
- Wisconsin American Legion Foundation Inc. – To support Camp American Legion, which provides rest and recuperation to Wisconsin veterans of all ages.
The QBE Foundation also awarded grants that match money employees raised for three organizations:
- Interact of Wake County – To help fund the agency's efforts to provide safety, support and awareness to victims and survivors of domestic violence, rape and sexual assault.
- Special Olympics Nebraska – To provide sports training for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.
- St. Baldrick's Foundation – To support child cancer research.
QBE North America is part of QBE Insurance Group Limited, one of the top 20 insurers and reinsurers worldwide. QBE Insurance Group's 2011 results can be found at www.qbena.com. Headquartered in Sydney, Australia, QBE operates out of 52 countries around the globe, with a presence in every key insurance market. The North America division, headquartered in New York, conducts business through its property and casualty insurance subsidiaries. QBE insurance companies are rated "A" (Excellent) by A.M. Best and "A+" by Standard & Poor's.
Copyright 2012 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.