How Business and Consumers Are Shaping the Green Landscape Together

Blog by Julie Urlaub, Founder and Managing Partner at Taiga Company
Mar 23, 2011 11:32 AM ET

Taiga Company blog by Julie Urlaub, Founder and Managing Partner at Taiga Compa…

Thanks to the sustainable business strategies of leading organizations, there are more and more eco friendly products and services available.   Do you drink Coke? Pepsi?  Both companies are reducing water consumption, waste, and recycling  - all "behind the scenes" to the consumer.  To the non- green consumer, it's just a refreshing soda.  Who knew in that moment, they were going green?   

While leading companies like Nike, Pepsi, and Dell, make it easier for us as consumers to be green, the catch is that whatever stage anyone one of us is currently on in our personal sustainability path, it is up to us to take that next step.   As individuals, we're responsible for continuing on our ever evolving journey of going green. 

But what exactly is green living and is it the same as a sustainable lifestyle?  We state in our professional consulting, personal sustainability is about addressing the environmental concerns of carbon, water, and energy on a smaller scale: your life.   Which brings us to the case in point: Sustainability is two sides of the same coin.   Business sustainability and personal sustainability.   Businesses are stepping up to the plate.  As a consumer, are you?  At the PEW Center for Climate Change's Energy Efficiency Conference held in Chicago last April, one of the plenary session speakers stated a remarkable statistic.  Only 8% of what you DO is sustainable -- the other 92% is in the supply chain -- in other words, what you BUY.  Buying green products matters.  As far as what you do, the eco actions you take, here's where the tried and true adage applies: "What gets measured, gets managed."   Click here to learn more of how businesses and consumers are shaping the green landscape together.



Home to one third of the earth's trees, the Taiga is the largest land-based biosphere and encircles the globe. Its immense oxygen production literally changes the atmosphere and refreshes the planet. It is this continuous renewal that has shaped Taiga Company's vision to drive similar change in the business world. Taiga Company seeks to be the "oxygen for your business".