Healthy for Life® 20 by 20 Marks Five Year Milestone by Reporting on Healthy Menu Innovation and Announcing Expanded Nutrition Education
Video Education Series Highlighted During National Nutrition Month
PHILADELPHIA March 1, 2021 /3BL Media/ - Aramark, the largest U.S. based food service company, and the American Heart Association, the leading voluntary health organization devoted to a world of longer, healthier lives, reported the five year results from their Healthy for Life® 20 By 20 initiative, created to help improve the health of all Americans through better nutrition and lifestyle habits.
Since 2015, Healthy for Life® 20 By 20 has helped millions of people lead healthier lives. The health impact report highlights the innovative approach and results achieved, including:
- Delivering a 20% average reduction in calories, saturated fat and sodium, and almost 20% increase in fruits, vegetables and whole grains across menus served in workplaces, hospital cafes, and university dining halls.
- Increasing vegetarian or vegan main dishes to 34% and reducing red meat on menus by 12%.
- Introducing an innovative consumer engagement and education campaign in more than 1,000 foodservice locations, providing nutrition news from Aramark dietitians and American Heart Association experts, sharing healthy recipes and cooking tips, and featuring seasonal health and wellbeing ideas.
- Developing an extensive nutrition education curriculum that’s been used by more than 800 community organizations across the U.S.
“Through this initiative, we have broken new ground, engaged consumers, supported underserved communities, and improved the health and wellbeing of Aramark’s own employees and their families,” said Dan Wainfan, Vice President of Health, Wellness & Nutrition at Aramark. “We are proud of the impact our collaboration with the American Heart Association has had on the food environment and we look forward to building upon this success to further empower healthier choices and healthier lives.”
“Fueled by science and research from the American Heart Association, the results of our long-standing work with Aramark show major progress in improving the health of communities across the country,” said Eduardo Sanchez, M.D., M.P.H., FAAFP, the American Heart Association’s chief medical officer for prevention. “The menu achievements and community education offerings serve as a strong example to other industry leaders that healthy changes are possible, and we are proud to continue to build on the success of Healthy for Life.”
Also, just in time for National Nutrition Month (March), Aramark and the American Heart Association expanded the number of videos available for the Healthy for Life® community nutrition program, ensuring communities can continue critical nutrition and culinary education experiences during the pandemic. These Healthy for Life® videos are the latest addition to the online resources accessible for facilitators of the community education program. Since the educational experiences are normally hands-on the video series allows community organizations to continue to offer the programming virtually. The videos can be found here and include:
- Be Sharper Chef: https://youtu.be/derjdSArJtY
- World of Spices: https://youtu.be/YYYsBU-VCy0
- Pantry Makeover: https://youtu.be/Ws9HuSx-7jY
- Healthy Ingredient Swap: https://youtu.be/nz24KFGgCoo
- Double Duty Meals: https://youtu.be/EF2VyXSalKY
- Tasty Affordable Meals for Busy Families: https://youtu.be/0FUUwDrxVxw
- More information on Healthy for Life®, visit: heart.org/healthyforlife
- Articles on nutrition, exercise and wellness from the American Heart Association: www.heart.org/healthyforgood
- More about the impact of the Healthy for Life initiative: www.aramark.com/healthyforlife
- Tips from Aramark chefs and registered dietitians: www.FYP365.com
About the American Heart Association
The American Heart Association is a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives. We are dedicated to ensuring equitable health in all communities. Through collaboration with numerous organizations, and powered by millions of volunteers, we fund innovative research, advocate for the public’s health and share lifesaving resources. The Dallas-based organization has been a leading source of health information for nearly a century. Connect with us on heart.org, Facebook, Twitter or by calling 1-800-AHA-USA1.
Aramark (NYSE: ARMK) proudly serves the world’s leading educational institutions, Fortune 500 companies, world champion sports teams, prominent healthcare providers, iconic destinations and cultural attractions, and numerous municipalities in 19 countries around the world. We deliver innovative experiences and services in food, facilities management and uniforms to millions of people every day. We strive to create a better world by making a positive impact on people and the planet, including commitments to engage our employees; empower healthy consumers; build local communities; source ethically, inclusively and responsibly; operate efficiently and reduce waste. Aramark is recognized as a Best Place to Work by the Human Rights Campaign (LGBTQ+), DiversityInc, Equal Employment Publications and the Disability Equality Index. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.